plywood over particle board subfloor in mobile home

What is this layer of material in the kitchen floor? The joists arent the flat floor layers youre accustomed to seeing inside your home. Use wood screws long enough to reach through the plywood and particleboard into the joists below look for the nails or screws in the particleboard to determine the location of joists. Living and Dining Rooms Then the cross support is cut to length, dropped into the joist hangers, and finally attached to the hangers using screws. Cottage Chic Decor I do know that HUD is the government entity that oversees all manufactured housing. You can learn more about mobile home plumbing repair here. First, you shouldnt use water-based primers or paints. If you need to trim the edges according to the room, do so with a saw. So try to keep at a 1/2 inch maximum. Step 4: Acclimate Plywood. We featured the home here. Also, is putting large 30 stone or terrazzo tiles doable in a double wide, or are vinyl tiles my only option? You can read it here. You wont want any kind of bulge so if its just the chair rail and not wainscoting youll just cut out the section where the rail will be installed. The board will continue to rot under the plywood if you just try to cover it over. I have researched quite a bit for you and think I can at least point you in the right direction. What should I use to overlay a particle board subfloor in my mobile home? Home will never be moved only torn down. Purchasing a new manufactured home is very different from the process of buying a motor vehicle. We have laid a new subfloor over the existing subfloor in a couple of mobile homes weve worked on. Your mobile home subfloor may be made out of: OSB (oriented strand board)made of pressed wood strips and resin adhesives somewhat like particle board. Thanks for the help. In bold letters, each sheet of fiberboard warned Resin formaldehyde Causes respiratory distress. By the time it was revealed, it was too late to do more than tell workman to wear a respirator, and I tried to avoid the area and ventilate the house as much as possible (ventilation is awful in this house). The cross support of the H will be securely screwed into the sides of the H before installing the H into the floor. Other than that, learn what SEO is and how to write for the search engines. Or should I get 1/4" plywood and lay that on top of the risers? I would call your local mobile home supply store and ask them for references. While I want to say this is a good thing because it would certainly hold up over time, it would be a pain when it comes to remodeling. You'll start laying plywood over floorboards by putting a square in the corner and leaving about 1/8 inch between the plywood and the wall. Just the area over the shims? Replacing particle board subfloor with plywood, We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. Stretching and stapling/nailing the wrap is a real pain but its easier with help. Anything you can recommend will be appreciated! Replacing particle board flooring in mobile home (and insulation (PS If you do it could you please take photos so I could write an article about it? We hope you have enjoyed these questions about mobile home subfloors and our Ask a Mobile Home Expert series. Id love to share your project with our readers, it could help a lot of people. To replace flooring in a mobile home you will need experience in construction. Thats where your article was invaluable. Modern Traditional Decor Without looking at it I cant really give you much of a suggestion. For many years, mobile homes have been constructed with sub-flooring made of particle board which is made from sawdust and glue that essentially acts like a sponge when it gets wet. To install the second layer like a subfloor, lay it perpendicular to the first layer. You don't know if they're glued on the bottom and you might damage the plywood underneath. Is a PhD visitor considered as a visiting scholar? Heres a video showing how to use a circular saw to cut out subflooring in a mobile home: If your flooring is 3/4 set your circular saw to that and follow the perimeter along the edge of the room. Did they show up when they said they would? Cork vs. Rubber Underlayment: Which One Is Better? This is what most Clayton home builders use for your . It would help if you avoided plywood underlayment on tile and stone. You can buy the replacement ceiling panels at your local mobile home supply store. Prior to installing any finished flooring, it is important to remember: Re-secure any loose wood subfloor planks, OSB, or plywood subfloors to the floor joists using 2-1/2" deck screws. The most obvious evidence to support the subcontractors theory is the peaking of the subfloor at the joists. Installing plywood underlayment is a relatively straightforward undertaking. If the inspector is seeing water damage in the subflooring than there is likely a leak and if its been neglected for a while the old wood (sub-flooring and possibly even the framing) will need to be replaced. Bed and Bath There was many leaks in previous years and several soft spots on the floors. Doors and Windows Since then Ive gotten another serious water issue with damage. The image above shows the complex plumbing you may encounter in a mobile home bathroom. How to Replace Subflooring in a Mobile Home To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. Water and humidity in any home, site-built, modular, or manufactured can cause problems for any homeowner. Learn how your comment data is processed. Let me know how it goes! if you cant replace the subfloor yourself this article will at least show you what to expect when you hire someone else to do it. Bad toilet rings and damaged water supply lines are other common source of leaks in mobile homes. You may want to check into a product that dissolves glue. When we finished, the floor felt very solid throughout. Sealing out moisture, whether from the roof, windows, doors, floor, skirting or ground is necessary to prevent buildup of dampness and mold. Spending an extra $30 can save you a lot more in energy costs in the future. Finally, the floor covering goes on top of all other layers and is what you walk on every day. Then replace the particle board with plywood of the same thickness and make sure you glue it to the risers in addition to using a fastener. It was pretty informative as far as health concerns go: http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/faq-mdf.htm, It seems that HUD changed the laws about formaldehyde in 1985 and since your home was built before the law changed, it contains material that was later outlawed. The only cost you will have is the cost of the materials as well as any tools you need that you dont have. The important thing about choosing the new material is to make absolutely sure that it is of the same thickness as the original subfloor. This site is owned and operated by Mobile Home Friend LLC, a limited liability company headquartered in Arizona, USA. Mold is a common health hazard and causes all types of respiratory issues. If the top layer of my subfloor is structurally sufficient, can I skip patching plumbing holes in the bottom layer? Related: How to Replace Flooring in a Mobile Home. From what Ive read it seems you may be able to use a non-toxic paint or sealant over the board to stop the fumes from releasing. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Tile and stone require a cement backer board, while laminate needs a thin layer of foam. OSB at Lowes.com Hi.. We are needing to change our kitchen.. Are cupboards in our kitchen that are built up to the ceiling all wall cupboards & an other is a double ..a pantry style unit plus next to it is a boiler housing unit both floor to ceiling.. are these all supporting walls?.. Mark for Cutting: Use a chalk line to mark the area to be removed, making sure the end cuts are centered over floor joists. It might with that thin vinyl. Is Glue down better. If you can afford water resistant marine plywood for your kitchen, laundry, and bath that would be a good idea. I have lived in a double-wide since 1987, and it now needs some major work. and Ill be educated when looking for a repair man for help. I want to take the whole particleboard off and replace it with plywood as it's rotting. Usually its the bathrooms. Im not sure if thats true but Ive seen bleach and mold/mildew cleaner remove some dangerous-looking stuff. Therefore, I'd use 3/4" (23/32) tongue-and-groove OSB, which is standard as a basic single-layer subfloor in new homes. Thank you. Chuck says that rehabbing homes is the most fun part of his real estate career. For anyone thinking about doing this job, its messy and tedious but can be accomplished with basic carpentry skills and some hard work. You wrote that you bought inexpensive laminate and its been fine. Since this final layer is all about aesthetic appeal, it doesnt usually add structural support. locations, especially under the master bathroom shower pan area. Mobile Home Friend LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The particle board subfloor ran under the framing and I was concerned damaging it could be cause more series issues so I decided not to replace it. Ive been renovating it ever since. Its very plausible that replacing instead of laying a second layer is easier. (which as many of have found out, can be quite tedious.) Youll need to ensure that all the leaks are repaired (so, maybe a new roof needs to be first on the list) before you repair or replace anything and with soft spots on the sub-flooring you will likely need to replace some of the studs too. Staples should be placed every two inches around the edge of the sheet and every four inches in the interior. I only advise that because having to remove tile in order to have a home moved is a pain. Thanks again for your help This was very helpful. @isherwood it is most likely MDF or a high density particle type board. These projects usually end up leading me to searching for information. How to Remove and Replace Rotten Particle Board Subflooring I didnt notice at first cause I had my shoes on but now when I walk in these areas I feel a dip in the flooring in random spots. Please give me the Best Advice. Id really like to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other experienced individuals Financing and Insurance Just mix it with water, pour and spread. In areas where you want to install vinyl or other flooring requiring a prepared surface, use 3/4" t&g BC plywood to avoid the need for additional underlayment. Learn how your comment data is processed. As always, thank you for reading Mobile Home Living! If you live in a manufactured home with a particle board subfloor you will likely need to replace it eventually. Im tired of being cold!! Laundry and Entry Ways NOTE: When placing sheets, they should rest comfortably next to one another. There are four common types of subfloors, plywood, concrete, OSB (oriented strand board), and particle board. Hi Crystal, I bought my 1987 double wide here in Rochester, WA a little over a year ago. It only takes a minute to sign up. Its definitely been a learn as I go experience. Siding and Skirting Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Covering Particleboard Flooring | Home Guides | SF Gate Ive been slacking on the comments lately. When you say flat do you mean it was commercial grade, like what would be in an office? If you have water damage Id def replace the floors first, after the leaks have been repaired. I have a question about installing chair rail moulding around my mobile home. If your house has a concrete slab and no joists, then the slab is considered your subfloor. If your in a bathroom or kitchen area hardybacker or cement board is the better choice. Plumbing and Wiring My husband has ideas how to fix it but doesnt know if we have to replace the whole floor and how far the joiset are. Theres a ton of blogs and sites and readers know which ones have a soul or were created out of an interest or passion and which ones pay for their articles and use tactics to get ahead. You do want to make sure all the damaged/suspect PB is replaced. Our years of experience, buying, selling, renovating, managing rentals, and brokering transactions has given us a wealth of knowledge we want to share with you. Transporting Mobile Homes, Mobile Home Living is a registered trademark. In the image below, the homeowners just cut the perimeter and left the original subflooring under the wall. We have what was once pile carpet, but its 25 years old and its not completely flat, but its still got some cushion and a pad underneath. Stacy Randall is a wife, mother, and freelance writer from NOLA that has always had a love for DIY projects, home organization, and making spaces beautiful. Its a great idea as long as it doesnt interfere with tubs, toilets, and doors (there are ways around that, of course, but it can be a hassle). Most subfloors are either 3/4 or 5/8 thick. I have no insulation or blatter bag underneath very simular to a crawl space home. Yes maam. And thirdly, i dont understand how patching this floor is less labor intensive than placing a superior product on top of it. The top right corner of the wider picture is (for a lack of a better word) mushy. Carla. It looks like the particle board I am replacing is 1/4" and the plywood is .205". Before we continue, you may want to check out our step-by-step guide to replace flooring in a mobile home here. Your Do You Need to Hire a Framing Contractor? Check it's load strength, but it may approach 100 pounds per square foot with 16 inch on center fastening. Ive lived in my 79 mobile home (double wide) for 27 years. Use a cement board underlayment instead. Mid 70s home with 3/4 particle board sub floor, need clarification, Good approach to preparing badly damaged wood floor for tiling. Thanks. It is a strong material but it soaks water up like a sponge. Is a handyman sufficient to make the bladder repairs or should this work be completed by a contractor? I was always afraid to use paint dissolvers but after I used them the first time I was mad at myself for not trying them sooner. Plywood and particleboard are both engineered building materials. Then, you need to add a vapor barrier on top of the ground, install insulation between your joists, and then install an underbelly wrap. In addition to expansion and shrinkage of the individual wood chips, the resin is also vulnerable to moisture attack. I havent had any water stains, leak issues, scratches, or discoloration and we only paid .79 square foot! Before replacing the subfloor material, the joist support area underneath will need to be modified. We have a trailer house that has had a water leak and damaged the ceiling in the small bath, part of the bedroom is sagging and falling in. This article will help you choose the right contractor without getting ripped off. The plywood underlayment helps cover up any dings or imperfections in the subfloor, allowing you to install floor coverings with ease. When installing new plumbing in an old (1979) mobile home, can it be done from underneath the trailer, or does it need to be done by removing the flooring? x 4 ft. x 8 ft. AB Marine-Grade Plywood has seven laminated plywood layers versus the typical 5 layer 3/4" plywood. Real Estate One side of the home can settle differently than the other and cause cracking. They are not the same. A pneumatic stapler and galvanized staples. Whats the grammar of "For those whose stories they are"? At this point he has over 100 properties under his belt. Ive read that I should keep the insulation below the wiring and pipes. Replacing the subfloors can be a time-consuming and expensive process, but you can strengthen your subfloor without removing the particleboard by laying plywood on top of it. Does ZnSO4 + H2 at high pressure reverses to Zn + H2SO4? If your existing floor is in fair shape both plywood and OSB staple or screw down nicely for living rooms, bedrooms, and halls. I am in a 1995 single wide mobile home. Most folks think that water damage inside of a home comes either from leaking plumbing or a leaky roof. Bulk update symbol size units from mm to map units in rule-based symbology, Euler: A baby on his lap, a cat on his back thats how he wrote his immortal works (origin?). Took us almost 2 years to get thin, pre-papered wall panels and floor ripped out. Transporting Mobile Homes, Mobile Home Living is a registered trademark. We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. Advantages of Manufactured Homes What is a word for the arcane equivalent of a monastery? Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site.

Second Chance Apartments Chesterfield, Va, Articles P