mountain lions in new hampshire

But if you do if you think you're looking at a wild Puma their tail is very thick and especially in the winter is very thick and ponderous looking. Caller: Absolutely. Peter Biello: Well Karl Jarvis a former reporter for The King's son Nile thank you very much for for calling in and sharing your perspective and to his point Patrick T. I mean yes we haven't met the scientific burden of proof here in New Hampshire as far as physical evidence is is concerned but is there room at Fish and Game For A kind of an informal nod to all of the people who have somehow convinced themselves and possibly some others that yeah there may be occasional sightings here. By, March 2023 Fund Drive Rules and Regulations, Persons with disabilities who need assistance accessing NHPR's FCC public files, please contact us at publicfile@nhpr.org. Every other Friday on Morning Edition NHPRs Sam Evans-Brown tracks down answers to questions about the environment and outdoors for our listeners in a segment we call Ask Sam.. As recently as 2011 there was one young male mountain lion that cruised all the way from the black hills of South Dakota, up over the Great Lakes, down through New Yorkgetting spotted all. Patrick Tate: While a juvenile not a juvenile I guess if you want nodes to the base of the tail for juvenile that wouldn't be small at all. Information online ad an age student loans dawg. Rick van de Poll: Absolutely. Just one quick point I think I think when we we talk about these conspiracy theories the real story is that fish and game is an agency that that is short on budget and staff. Monday, December 5th: Mountain Lions in New Hampshire? Part II - WMUR Thanks for a great thanks. I just want to tell you a story that I read. Peter Biello: Let's go to Mike in Epping. Phone number 1 800. Mountain Lions | Wildlife | New Hampshire Fish and Game Department So that that's more or less I think why I'm here and why I got into this in nineteen ninety nine I found a what appeared to be a print of a mountain lion and that was in the Osprey mountains and I thought well OK that's that's a print. We'd love to have you in the queue. Mountain Lion Population By State: 2023 Data [Statistics] We're gonna talk about sightings in this part of the program as well we'd love to hear your story. It's completely possible that it may have spent time in New Hampshire and went undetected but had it stayed in the area ultimately it would have been detected over time. Sam. Tate said that while a mountain lion sighting in New Hampshire isn't likely, it's not impossible. Patrick Tate: I would say well when social media first started they picked up the hoaxes became much more prevalent in the last four or five years hoaxes have died down completely. Current conditions in New Hampshire would support a mountain lion, according to Tate, as forests have returned, allowing for prey species to become more prevalent. A monthly donation of $5 makes a real difference. You know interactions are pretty unusual. Which brings us to the next question, what are the odds that some of these reported sightings (which, when I posted about this on twitter, I immediately started to get as well) are actually people seeing a mountain lion? No evidence and other states where Mountain lights have turned up. Have a photo. Join as a $8 per month sustainer and get our brand-new owl umbrella! It's bigger but bigger and better world. I saw the tail end of a literally from behind the shoulder The Long Tail mountain lion crossing the highway going from Password to often Village downtown. Pat ruse and he was sampling doing DNA samples from cats in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. For me as a person who's handled many bobcats and looked at many pictures Bobcat the White chin Bobcat right off is what comes out to me and then the black the the roughs on our Bobcats we'll have sometimes have black fringes on them. Sam Evans-Brown: One in fact Helena silver in that sort of tome that Rick van de Poll read from at the beginning is she. Sam Evans-Brown: So I just had two thoughts which is that we hear a lot of these stories and all of us here have heard these stories. But you can continue the conversation on Facebook or at our Web site and HP Borg. So I reached down to grab the camera and looked back and like a ghost it's gone. We're going to talk a little bit more about habitat first but then we'll get into sightings. Well let's hear from from Sue Morse again science director for the organization keeping track. So they're not afraid of humans and they'll show up like a regular housecat. So I don't understand really how how this this idea came to be but it is the main reason why folks believe that fishing game is is covering up the fact that there are mountain lions in the state again with no evidence. I had a resident in New Hampshire tell me a story of a mountain lion in the 1960s where a person who would come summer in New Hampshire and then live in a different part of the country in the winter had a trailer that was housing his mount line. I wanted to get your thoughts on the mystique of the mountain lion start with you Rick. So one thing I'll add we're talking about natural dispensers but talking with the conservation officer in the 1980s they recall going to a residence telling a person you can live here but your mountain lion can't. Peter Biello: They make great mascots at least. He said matter of fact I do. I've seen him in the woods and that was not a bobcat but I was looking at. In fact, Pat Tate concedes that hes been told of sightings from folks that he considers to be very credible, very woods savvypeople who know what a bobcat looks likebut those folks have never snapped a good photo or found a good track. Good morning guys. Which goes back to the Connecticut Connecticut cat and what not. And I saw you cat about four feet long from nose to tail come across from the water across the road and just leap over a six foot perimeter fence in a single bound. For all the men out there that don't realize it. What gets confusing is when you have a large adult animal and a smaller juvenile animal of a different species you can now step start beginning talking about overlapping body weights and sizes. Peter Biello: Let's talk to Ron and where Ron thanks very much for calling. Don't miss your chance to win three two thousand dollar gas gift cards at any station of your choice not to mention the grand prize twenty five thousand dollars toward a new car. Thank you very much for that story really appreciate it. So the U.S. Forest Service Rocky Mountain Research Station has a database on mountain lion and they can identify. There are corollaries in other states. Peter Biello: We at this e-mailed comment from Michael. Is there a way we can learn more about these dispersing mountain lions that may travel through the Granite State and that I would ask you certainly part about whether or not a he's spending too much time chasing down these kind of false leads or B would rather be doing something else that is more informative to whether or not we actually have or can prove that we have dispersing mountain lions in the state. Mountain lions remain an enigmatic animal for residents of New Hampshire, with New Hampshire Fish and Game reporting three to five sightings per week. and territorial animals are much more inclined to create a problem with passer bys than dispersing animals in fact I'd be totally shocked if a dispersal would encounter with a human purposefully unless they had already had some type of training to do so. Let's look for other evidence. I was at the Sentinel as a reporter there for about four years and during that time I probably wrote close to a half dozen stories or so on this topic including a lengthy feature at one point that in which I spoke to several people from around the banana region claimed to have seen mountain lions that at one time or another. The species that once inhabited the Northeast, known as the eastern mountain lion, is now extinct. Information that weed family automotive dot com sunny for today high temperatures low to mid 80s clear tonight overnight lows in the 50s tomorrow sunny highs in the upper 80s. Well let's talk a little bit about that. And I think a lot of folks would like them to be around. Peter Biello: Sam I wanted to ask you a little bit about that first and then turn to Patrick Tate efficient game. So the whole media hype about how scary mountain lions are should should go away immediately and that would be that I think the major thrust of educating folks about these casualties vs.. Sam Evans-Brown: Sam go ahead. That's too big for Bobcat. I would say that there's going to be the truth in here somewhere. Well I can't tell you what you saw. Mountain Lions in New Hampshire-Fact or Fiction 3,207 views Jul 31, 2019 78 Dislike Share Save New Hampshire Fish and Wildlife 634 subscribers During my thirty-one career at the New. Numerous scat and fur specimens have been turned in as part of mountain lion report investigations; DNA identification has shown these submitted samples to be from domestic dog, coyote, bobcat andraccoon. Patrick Tate: If I could just say one thing. Peter Biello: Ok weird question but do they make good pets. My wife and I saw a mountain lion. Rick van de Poll: Yes. So I just brought up the bobcat thing because the location is fascinating to me that that that location we have Bobcats existing but that location we have a mountain lion report because it's a developed area and which brings me back to earlier what I had said it's a bouncing ball. Residents from Bedford to Berlin have been reporting sightings for years. And the cougar embodies that. Erler is a senior naturalist at the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center in Holderness. HOLDERNESS, N.H. (AP) Two of the known mountain lions in New Hampshire have spent their 15 years in close proximity to humans. So here we have you know a very qualified biologist who who found a print took a plaster cast found a scat send it to a university. People go through great lengths to create hoaxes like this. 'Like we did as kids': Horse makes snow angels with her owner in New David Erler says some of them probably have. That's pretty elaborate. They were able to do all that by genetics. Peter Biello: I did mention four feet nose to tail would be kind of small for a mountain lion. But if you were to get Western dispersing mountain lions just would just sort of expanding into New Hampshire. And still the the folks there did weren't able to come up with it with 100 percent certainty what deposited that scat. Right. From: Boomerdog in OK 08-Oct-07 Really appreciate it. John thanks. Thank you. Mountain lions ( Puma concolor) are one of the six native species of wild cats in North America. Patrick Tate: Yes. Mountain Lions in NH. All they think it traveled north through Canada up you know crossed across the Great Lakes and then and then down again through New York State. The second story window through about 30 feet away from it. So I certainly can't dispute anything that they said there's no evidence for me to go by to verify or say what my thoughts are on the situation. And then just up behind it you know at about 11 o'clock on one side and whatever that would be on the other side it's black. I looked at the picture and asked me what do you see in the picture and I wrote back. She was having a garden party on her back porch and everybody in the party saw this mountain lion across the field down below the porch. Give us a call if you have a question or comments or story about perhaps seeing a mountain lion here in New Hampshire. Love hearing these stories. Patrick Tate: So I agree with what Sam said in part that their ability to go undetected for amount of time but ultimately it was detected. NHFG Wildlife Biologist Patrick Tate identifies this cat as a bobcat. So. There have been several sightings of mountain lions in New Hampshire recently. 1957. But having read a bit of information about his cougar there are a darker subspecies. Sam Evans-Brown: You know the North America had a number of large predator species when humans first arrived in the continent. It's not a skinny rope like tail like a housecat. Caller: It had to be a mountain lion convinced I was about 30. But you won't find evidence of their existence in paw prints in the snow or a deer carcass in a tree. It was not a bobcat. Mountain Lions are a mythical creature in New Hampshire with strong feelings on both sides of the question: are there Mountain Lions in New Hampshire? Caller: I cannot recall or see the tail in my in my image of it. We want answers. The way that we define species has undergone a revolution with the advent of DNA testing. They create these big latrines that are very obvious. Russ, from Sandwich (and Bedford) asks: In Sandwich New Hampshire, everybody has a story about seeing a mountain lion. Mike you're on the air. So Marty can you see what I'm getting at is the public sees different names and thinks that they're different animals but it's all the same animal. While State Denies Mtn Lions are in NH, Numerous Sightings Say Peter Biello: Well yeah. And they asked me about the tail which I just did not remember that tail out of that whole experience. Deer Bear Moose Wolves Fisher Mountain Lions. But if people are still seeing mountain lions, why is the state and federal government seeking to COVER IT UP!? Peter Biello: This is the exchange on an HP yard today we're talking about the mysterious elusive majestic Mystic Mountain Lion. Are these big cats back?Subscribe to WMUR on YouTube now for more: http://bit.ly/1lOjX9CGet more Manchester news: http://wmur.comLike us: http://facebook.com. So so in 2011 a mountain lion was killed in a car accident in Connecticut a car hit a mountain lion and killed it. Today, their range stretches from the Yukon Territory in Canada along the western coast of the United States, all the way to the Southern Andes in Chile. History of Mountain Lions in New Hampshire | NH Wildlife Well thanks for sharing. Patrick Tate: Martin Like what about Panther Panther saying animals same animal and like a bit of trivia Guinness Book of World Records says the animal with the most names is in English alone they're supposedly 40 names for Mount lion. Saddleback Mountain Lions Its closest living relative is the cheetah. Caller: And then there's the Lily Pond Road and then there's a six foot tall fence. Are there Mountain Lions in NH? So what I'm getting back is the verifying and confirming of evidence what that was not there. Patrick Tate: No downward pressure at all I think actually Sean turned up and we found the evidence there a number of people would finally say finally we can put this debate to bed. They get a lot of media attention but compared to the the amount of times that a mountain lion could attack a person but doesn't because they don't typically view us as prey. GAP MOUNTAIN LIONS CLUB Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire (USA) District 44-N . We'd be inundated with scouts in the past when newspaper articles have been written about DNA and scouts. The tail leave is a giveaway but not everybody gets to see the tail. Want to put this to to Patrick Tate who may have heard some some info or info from listeners like you about these these these cats. Peter Biello: Mm hmm. There wasn't a distinct subspecies the North American mountain lion is all is all one species and then you can find a genetically distinct South American subspecies. Verifiable pictures recorded by the observing person or a trail camera. You know one of the the biggest questions I have about that is it points to how much we don't know and if in fact we don't know enough. Alleged mountain lion sightings put Derry, Windham residents on edge So so do what you can get to do what you can to get proof. Caller: I do. And Rick van de Poll naturalist and founder of ecosystem management consultants of New England. Patrick Tate: In theory it's a passing ball of a court and it goes wherever the bottom Ball wants to go. Like why would you want one wildlife. Monday, December 5th: Mountain Lions in New Hampshire? - WMUR Peter Biello: So Rick seems like you agree that the tail is a big giveaway whether or not it's a mountain lion Absolutely. And in fact in 2011 when it was announced that the eastern cougar was officially extinct the reason that announcement was made is because they said really that it never existed. We rely on readers like you to support the local, national, and international coverage on this website. Chartered 1973; Member of District 44-H; . By, March 2023 Fund Drive Rules and Regulations, Persons with disabilities who need assistance accessing NHPR's FCC public files, please contact us at publicfile@nhpr.org. Well they are the same. Many people in New Hampshire have claimed to have seen mountain lions. And it was you know 10 or 12 people saw it all at once. And so I just wanted to share my share my experience with you guys and it was pretty awesome to see if you get to see one albeit it was in the brush. Anyways after three weeks I finally found the image on line on a field and stream photo contest and the explanation in the end was the person that set the camera out with another individual and they believed that someone who knew of the camera location saw the similarities put the can't picture on their SD card so it looked like that camera recorded the image that is. Peter Biello: But clearly you know you're saying like hoaxes people who claim to have seen a mountain lion but knowingly have not or are appropriating photos taken elsewhere of legit mountain lion say out West where they people acknowledge that they exist certainly knowingly or unknowingly in this case the person who sent it to me said hey a friend of mine sent me this photo and said he took it on his back porch also. So it is possible to see male Mountain lions roam into the northeast - there was one hit by a car in CT a number of years back - but we don't have a breeding population of Mountain lions in New England. Why do people keep seeing mountain lions (which aren't here) but not The females disperse a shorter range and once they find a vacant home range they stay in that location and live there. That's next time on one day. N.H. So they're scary. Patrick Tate: I've from all the situations I've read and learned about wildlife. Can we go to the site. So for me as a person who's had the Bobcats right off my grits similar carries sticks to a bobcat The Long Tail obviously very different but those facial markings were overlapping for me. Well within there. Patrick Tate: Yes. I mean no doubt a seen Bobcat seen his stuff. They're very loyal to what the handler which makes them very dangerous to everyone else. And so maybe before I go to you recommend I ask you Patrick Tate is the standard too high. Maps of Trapping Take by Town 1994 to 2004. How many mountain lions are in New Hampshire? - AnswersAll If you believe you have seen a mountain lion and want to report it to NH Fish and Game, please contact the Wildlife Division at (603) 271-2461 or wildlife@wildlife.nh.gov to request an observation report form. Well let me ask maybe Pat and Rick about this. Let's talk to Mike in Webster. Peter Biello: So if they were female mountain lions here they would be more males just because that's what they're looking for. Or years or so. Women control our lives. Patrick Tate: So Cougar Mountain Lion katama. So there's even debate about that very subject. The great thing about pictures isn't the animal itself it's the background. If it's someone that has an illegal captive animal that is accustomed to humans those leave a lot of evidence because they want to go around humans to find food meaning they're used to being fed by humans. If you missed part of today's program listen to the exchange. The western mountain lion lives in a more of a grassland open area now so to blend in with a very lighted situation here in the Northeast we are very shadowy dark situation because of the forest and our cats wear a darker brownish reddish color than what they were and they were also smaller than what the western mountain lion is. I'm Peter B yellow. I'm Peter Biello. Mountain lions leave a lot of sign. Sandy Hodskins, owner of West Meadow Farm in Bradford, New Hampshire, took time from shoveling Wednesday to enjoy the snow with her horse, West Wind. For starters, part of the confusion might come from the fact that the eastern cougar was taken off the endangered species list earlier this year. So when we hear mountain lion there's also cougar there's wild cat there's Bobcat which is not a mountain lion maybe Patrick could you sort of spell out the different terms which are synonymous and which are completely different animals. This is a machine-generated transcript, and may contain errors. Oh you saw him online. Despite numerous reports, the NH Fish and Game Department continues to have no physical evidence of mountain lion presence in the state. But before I go any further I want to say we do not have sufficient game. First off if the standard for an agency to go forward with the public and put out a press release that them outlines here their believers are going to say I told you they'd been here the whole time. You could trace that was this same cat from point to point to point. M from Tree Hill author series presenting Diane lay back. Caller: I have yeah. I hope she's listening and she had spoke to a lot of different people ended up having a couple of sightings of her alone without sort of by accident. They create these scrapes where theyre communicating with each other with scent. Each person had their own copy and now it was identify the trees the species of tree matched. To date most of the pictures that have been sent in have been bobcats and other species Ive received pictures of house cats. Ecosystem Management Consultants of New England, Ask Sam, and recently fielded question about mountain lions, 10 things to do in NH this weekend: Dartmouth Dance, Hamilton De Holanda & more, Turkish restaurant in the Upper Valley aims to help those affected by recent earthquakes, RFK Jr. tells NH crowd hes considering a presidential run, Epping woman pleads guilty to threatening Michigan election official in 2020, We also hear excerpts from an interview with, Read about the most recent cougar "sightings". I would just suggest that in my experience as a reporter covering this covering this issue for a few years at least at what point do we reach a certain critical mass for lack of a better term of accounts where I'm not to suggest that you guys aren't taking this possibility seriously. Updated: 9:53 AM EST Dec 6, 2016. So nowadays we think of this in the Northeast as crazy stuff that people have a mountain lion as a pet. There's no attraction. In my New Hampshire career I have written several, and seen at least 20, stories along the lines of "local person thinks they saw a mountain lion but there's no actual evidence aside from. I'm sorry go ahead you're on the air. Id like to hazard the explanation that we really, really want to see a mountain lion. Can you tell us about that story. So you know until I found those two scats I didn't think that mountain lions were here in the east. For over 38 years the Saddleback Mountain Lions have offered people a chance to give back to their community. Thank you. And trying to figure out the little pieces to identify him so I bring up the names the differences but the appearances can be confusing for some. Mountain Lions in NH - Facebook N.H. Residents Report Mountain Lion Sighting - NECN Mark Elbroch doesnt think so. You don't know what's going on. So what those ranges. Theres tracks everywhere. But but I've also seen it cited the opposite way that look they're very secretive. OK. Rick van de Poll: Rick and I would add that if a mountain lion male takes up residence and successfully finds a female as pets there's gonna be a lot more evidence there will be like deer carcasses up in trees and territorial marking and claw marks and tracks and it you know dispersal is gonna be very tough to see or observed but residential parrots a totally different story. However, as far as I can tell theres no Deep State Conspiracy to cover up a breeding population of cougars in the Granite State. She quotes a biologist in Lyme New Hampshire who who is keeping two mountain lions himself so in the not too distant past in the early nineteen hundreds it was perhaps more common and still in Maine. But no proof was offered. The 17-year-old Kiger mustang mare was born in Bend, Oregon, said Hodskins, who got her . Author of The last woman in the forest on Saturday July 13th at 7 p.m. at Warner town hall Warner historical dawg. They just end up in these places. On Oct. 10, he gave a slide talk called "Wild Cats of New Hampshire," which included the bobcat and the lynx. So now what's going on. Part II. You're on the air. Peter Biello: This is NHK PR Good morning and HP are summer car raffle is back and now's the time to get your early bird tickets. Yeah 13 to 15 years ago 13 to 15 years ago. It is also known as cougar, panther, mountain lion, and puma, though catamount is the preferred regional vernacular. Mountain Lions in New Hampshire-Fact or Fiction. The big cat has been extinct here since the mid-1800s. Some argue that it's a leap of faith. The exchange is a production of New Hampshire Public Radio. Mountain lions (especially males) have incredibly large ranges that they defend from rivals. We live around Cold Springs Campground and it was undeniably a mountain lion. I can't. Right. Sam Evans-Brown: Well and I think and the last takeaway here is everyone I think probably agrees that any possible sightings that have been seen.

What Danger Force Character Are You, Non Religious Funeral Poems For Nan, Connor Payton High School, Articles M